Sunday, January 15, 2012

El primer fin de semana

My first weekend in Spain has been a success! Friday night a few of us went out to some bars and experienced a bit of the nightlife in Bilbao. Don't worry family, its not too crazy here! Saturday afternoon I learned how to take the metro and met Renner's host family up in Getxo, a small city north of Bilbao. It's right on the coast so we walked over to the beach and hung out there for a while. Its nice to be in the city but be able to easily escape to nature. His host family is really sweet and they talk so much which is great for us and practicing the language. Its really draining listening to so much Spanish and interpretting everything and then having to think so hard to express myself, definitely good practice though. Thank god they made us coffee, conversation is exhausting! And they fed us a little snack, of course. Its amazing how no one is here is fat, it seems that Spaniards do everything wrong for their health yet they're in such good shape! They eat small breakfasts, huge late lunches and then take a nap and then they eat dinner at like 10 and then go out and drink until 5 in the morning! Its a crazy lifestyle but I'm getting used to it. The wolf pack, as we call ourselves, went out again last night but it was sooo cold, my poor roomate is sick from walking around outside. Also, note to self: don't wear heels out in Bilbao because you walk EVERYWHERE. Today is just a lazy Sunday and since Jenn, my roomate, is sick I don't want to go into my bedroom (I'll be sleeping in the spare tonight) so I've been hanging out with Rosa and talking about traveling and family and such. I had my first paella today! So so so good! She made it with shrimp and mussels and there was probably some other stuff in there, who knows! I never know what I'm eating but its all so yummy! Class starts tomorrow at 9 am, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment