Friday, January 20, 2012

hi i'm still here, don't worry!

Let me start by apologizing for abandonning my blog for a week. I'm safe and sound no worries! I was waiting for my first week of classes to be over to write so I would have something to write about instead of just rambling. So classes! I'm taking four: Advanced Spanish Conversation, Hispanic Linguistics, Spanish Culture Politics and Economics, and Spanish Cinema and Literature. Tons of Spanish! Which is great! I like all my classes and they seem pretty easy too. My first assignment for my cinema and literature class is to read a play that I read last semester...starting things off easy!

I'm also doing an internship-like thing where I go observe English classes here at a Spanish high school and I get to teach English too! I start next week so hopefully that goes well. I met all of the teachers at the school and the whole program seems rather unorganized but its a learning experience, right? We'll see how it goes...

This week I have just been adjusting to having a schedule again in my life which feels nice after winter break and traveling around for the last week-ish. All of my classes are in the afternoon though so I need to find something to do during the mornings. Hopefully I'll start running here soon because I am going to be a complete chunker when I come home if I don't and I really don't want to buy two seats on the flight back!

Yesterday a few of us spontaneously decided to go to San Sebastian, a costal city about an hour away by bus, for the most important day of the year in the city, La Tamborrada de San Sebastian! Which is essentially a huge festival with tons of drums and people dress up like chefs and soldiers, I really don't understand why but it was a lot of fun. Except for all of the rain...so much rain. Annoying rain too because it is light and misty and lasts forever and the wind makes it ten times worse but it was worth it to go. Everyone in the group left around five in the morning but Renner and I stayed and attempted to explore the city this morning...we didn't realize that today is a holiday there and absolutely everything except cafes and bars and Chinese-owned stores were closed. So to stay dry and warm we drank lots of tea and coffee and sandwiches and pastries to kill time until our 5:00 bus. We even stopped in the "Juegeria" a tiny casino-like arcade where we played the Bingo pinball machine for about an hour. Good new is we won 5 euros! And then spent it to play more games...like mother like daughter! Just kidding...

Well the forecast is predicting rain and high 50s in Bilbao for the next forever so I might need to invest in a larger umbrella and/or rain coat. Off to Gernika tomorrow for the day to learn some World War II history!

Agur! (fancy new Basque word for goodbye)

No comments:

Post a Comment